Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sports - G. Stanton $325million and D. Rose at 50

Derrick Rose injures his hamstring and sits out.  This is not a big deal.  He is coming off of two wasted seasons due to knee injuries, and being cautious makes sense.  What he said about it doesn't make sense: "I know a lot of people get mad when they see me sit out or whatever,”Rose said Tuesday. “But I think a lot of people don’t understand that … when I sit out it’s not because of this year.

“I’m thinking about long term. I’m thinking about after I’m done with basketball. Having graduations to go to, having meetings to go to, I don’t want to be in my meetings all sore or be at my son’s graduation all sore just because of something I did in the past. [I’m] just learning and being smart
.”

There's more - he clarified his comments: “I was just worrying about myself. “Just worrying about my future, like every player in the league does. I probably just think different. It’s only my seventh year, but I think further on into my career, further on into my life. Just trying to plan things out. I think people took it out of context. It is what it is, but I was being myself, and that’s all I can be.”

These are the comments I discuss below.  They are unforgivable. It isn't just that Rose makes $18 million a year.  That's fine.  Unlike many, I respect his ability to get paid for his dedication and talent, and the market will pay that.  But what about the fan who takes his son to the game to see him play?  Why does that guy always seem to lose in these equations?

Perhaps Grantland has jumped the shark. Here's a distressing bit of apologia: "This is where it gets complicated, though. Even if the reactions to Hinkie (Sixers GM) and Rose are predictable, can you really blame either one of them? If two years of rehabbing triggered some fear of a forever-injured future, I can’t get that upset with Rose for doing his best to avoid it. His explanations are clumsy and tone-deaf, but he’s not even hurting the Bulls’ title chances. Resting now is smart, because having him available and comfortable five months from now is more important. As Joakim Noah said after Thursday’s game, everyone needs to chill the **** out."

"Complicated" is code for "journalist who wants to be 'down' and so he'll never criticize a player."  How can you translate Rose's comments (and Noah's for that matter -- uuuggghh) for anything except what they are - the comments of stars who care little for the average fan.  I understand them however.  No matter what they say or do, the fans keep coming.  The only recourse the fan has is to stop paying huge money to attend or pay for pro sports on TV.  Mike Francesa is the only major host to reiterate this point, and he's right.  Therefore, said behavior will continue.

No comments: