We have (another) new initiative - this time from the State - a two fold bureaucratic monstrosity that involves hours of useless grading and paperwork. None of the grading or paperwork will help a single student, nor will it affect positively the time I am able to spend with my students during the day. Here's the system:
- We have to give a diagnostic exam in the Fall, and then another follow up exam in the Spring.
- The SLO, (student learning objective) will be written by the teacher predicting how much better the students will do on the exam in the Spring than they did in the Fall.
- The diagnostic exams are simple re-hashed state exams with little to no relevance to anything in the school world or the real world.
- Naturally, the grades were crushed during the grading of the Fall exams. This ensures that the 'grades' for the Spring exams will be WAAYYY better than the Fall exams.
- This will be touted as 'improvement' by the students and proof that the teachers are doing a great job.