Monday, July 4, 2011

The Same Message - Different Source

I have often spoken to many of my students about independent thinking.  The 'thought journey' that I've been on for the past 15 years is starting to come full circle.  What I mean is that the more I read / learn / watch / listen to the non mainstream sources of intelligent ideas, the more commonalities I find.  This German economist is talking about gold and economics, but after about 6 minutes he talks about the education of the German youth.  It is fascinating that in a country where the education of its' children is vastly more rigorous than ours, they still don't learn about economics.  The key point made here that caught my attention and made me want to share is the fact that he asks rhetorically about who would have an interest in keeping the young people of Germany economically ignorant.

This has been one of the tenets of my last few years as a teacher.  There are people who like to control others, and they realize that it is easier to control YOU if you are unaware of the world around you.  Our education system was libertarian and free (and very good) until the late 1800's.  Then the public school system was spectacular so that had to be disemboweled in the late 1960's.  Unfortunately, some of these attributes have affected the German system as well, according to this man.  Watch the whole video to get more of an economic education, but pay particular attention past the 6 minute mark.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments: